Sunday, September 21, 2014

Battlefield Etiquette

Today my day begins with the interception of a dream structured by my husband, Son of Kronos, fitted to encourage Agamemnon to engage in battle against Troy. Persuaded by my coercive husband, Agamemnon gathers his large army for attack but instead decides to test their true intentions and expresses that he has instead given up on the war and plans his journey home. When Agamemnon's troops appear too overjoyed in their retreat, it is then that I am alerted by goddess Hera to intervene. With my persuasive suggestion, I successfully convince Odysseus to call his troops back to battle. As the Trojan army marches to meet the Acheeans in battle, Paris challenges the Achaeans to combat their best warrior. As Menelaus dutifully steps forward, Paris cowardly retracts. Only after establishing that  the duel will beset the rightful suitor for Helen and end the war do Menelaus and Paris fight. Just as Menelaus is about to penetrate Paris with his sword, Aphrodite whisks Paris away from danger while both the Trojans and the Greeks are left to wonder where he disappeared to. But I know better, the pathetic pretty boy needed saving. 

The eagerness expressed by the Achaeans in their initial retreat from the battlefield is of no particular interest to me, but it is of Hera's motivation that I encourage Odysseus to gather his men for battle. This is an action for which I participate out of feigned interest and intention to assist a fellow God. Who knows: perhaps one day I may require a favor of my own. Curious to me is the understanding behind the retreat of the Achaeans for it symbolizes only their lack of motivation and inferior battlefield mindsets. 

Image from chronicle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment