Monday, October 27, 2014

Hektor's Funeral

Achilleus realizes he has been tricked as he faces Hektor, who is consequently contemplating his fate. As Achilleus approaches, Hektor runs away, motivated by cowardly fear. Much to my displeasure, Zeus wishes to help Hektor. I squash this idea as best and coyly as I can, instead prompting the approval of my aid to Achilleus. I disguise myself as Deïphobos, his very brother, before Hektor and convince him to return to face Achilleus through the comfort of my aid. Hektor asks Achilleus for a mutual understanding of fair treatment of the body of the fallen warrior, but Achilleus refuses. Falling victim to my trick with ease, Hektor obliges to his own demise as I vanish and Achilleus proceeds to kill him. Standing over his body, Achilleus screams of his ill intentions to mistreat his body and deprive him of proper burial. The Achaeans desecrate the corps before Achilleus drags it behind his chariot. Andromache mourns.
More ceremonies commence as Patroklos receives his proper burial ceremony, only after which does Achilleus eat and groom.
For twelve long days, Achilleus proceeds to try desecrating Hektor’s body to no consequence. Apollo is busy keeping it pristine. This is not an endearing action for a warrior, it is not something done so readily, although I myself do not have a problem with it. After being approached by Priam, Achilleus is able to relate on a personal level and agrees to hand over the body for burial. They feast and Achilleus agrees to withhold his troops for twelve days. That night, Priam decides to sleep outside his teat amongst the stars, making it easy for Hermes to deliver the message of suggestion regarding not sleeping amongst ones enemy. Priam, Idaeus, and Hektor’s body escape via chariot unnoticed, to the great grief of the Trojans, whose representative woman cry out in sorrow.

It is not until his feat with Priam and his head lay down to sleep that Achilleus officially looses his μῆνις. With the war at an end, I am contented with the outcome of Greek success and feel as if my job has been done. Both immortals and men may now rest.


http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Mythology/HistoricityOfTheIliad.html

No comments:

Post a Comment